Sunday, July 17, 2016

It's the little things

I am so far behind in my blogging. Again, I could apologize, but I have a slight inkling that this will be happening more throughout the summer. It is hard to keep up with traveling, visitors,  and trying to unpack our house! August is slowly approaching and I'd really like to have some sort of house warming event!
Spiritual Growth Hormone is about finding hope despite medical maladies, battling chronic pain despite its overtaking of mind and body; therefore, I share my medical journey and my hope in Christ often. But I don’t want you to think medical issues are all there is to me… quite the opposite, in fact. I like to think I lead an eventful life. Naps are eventful too, right? I want you to see the Riley behind all of those things, the little things that I find joy in, the Riley beyond the complaints, the pain, and the frustration of medical issues. These are just a few fun facts about me: what I like, what I’m thankful for, and places you can find me during my much needed free time.
Friends in far off places: I like to think I’ve done a decent job of keeping in touch with friends in other places, but I could do better. Shout outs to my MOH Becca in Findlay, OH, Carrie in Charlotte, NC (lovelysuddencircus.blogspot.com), Rachel in Columbus, OH, and so many others. These people have encouraged me in my aspirations to write this blog, and for them I am thankful!
Bayou Bakery - Great for breakfast
AND coffee
Coffee Shops: Living in Washington DC has grown my love for coffee shops. At Miami University (of Ohio) there was Kofenya, which is where this particular love story began. DC itself is full of charming, rustic, and friendly coffee shops. I hope I find some new ones through my adventures in Anacostia.
Breakfast: I just LOVE breakfast foods. I always have. I’m one of those people who believe breakfast foods needn’t stay at breakfast. Bring it on, anytime, any day – I love it! I’ve been known to eat almost an entire box of cereal in one sitting. Now that Honey Nut Cheerios are gluten free, my obsession has reached a whole new level. I try to stray far away from that row at the grocery store.


Baskets: I love baskets! I use them for a lot things, especially storage and decor. I find my them at World Market and Target. They can be cute and functional. Aaron says I always buy things that are cute rather than practical, but this is one area I think he is wrong! Now if we are talking about clothes, then yes, many of my coats are cute and not necessarily warm… layers, people!


Walter Reed Reproductive Endocrinology (WRRE):
 
As much as I hate going to the doctor, the staff doctors of the RE clinic at Walter Reed have been wonderful. They know me; they call me, share emotion with me, answer my endless amount of questions, and one even hugs me on good news days! It is always nice to have doctors who know your name before looking at your 500-page chart. WRRE has been this for me. I guess I can use this little plug to sneak in an update: I’m basically in a holding pattern with frequent appointments, blood work, and ultrasounds. My doctor has mentioned starting me on oral estrogen because my levels still aren’t quite what they are looking for.  It’s interesting because in an individual with normal pituitary function, estrogen can’t be supplied orally; it would decrease the amount of LH and FSH in the body. However, because my Pit doesn’t work, we bypass it all together. Therefore, supplementing estrogen shouldn’t hurt. Another day, another guessing game. On day 49 of injections, my doctor did mention the longest they've seen someone on Menopur was about 70 days. Here's to hoping for less than 70!


The Night Circus
Novels: If you don’t read, you’re missing out. I am in a book club with several other Navy wives. All of our husbands are friends, so why can’t we be also?! A few books I’ve enjoyed lately from book club are: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, Still Alice by Lisa Genova, Me Before You by JoJo Moyes, The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls,  and Where’d You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple. In my own time, I’m reading A Court of Mist and Fury, the second book in the ACOTAR trilogy a by Sarah J. Mass. I previously read all her Throne of Glass books. I can’t wait for more in September! Love it! I'm also listening to Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I was thrilled when I began listening to it and after two words recognized Jim Dale as the reader. He read the Harry Potter series! What books have you been reading or listening to?
Target: Why we women feel the need to walk the aisles of Target alone is beyond me. I was just there this week. (We don’t need to talk about how much I spent.) Sometimes it is just fun to rummage through the end caps and find that perfect table runner at 75% off or that perfect shade of Essie nail polish (another little joy). I like meandering Target, and most of the time, I even come out spending less than $50, that magic Target number we all love!
I hope you enjoyed my post on a few of my little joy's in life. Sometimes I just need to feel quintessentially normal. Reading a book, or meandering the aisles at Target can help with that. Next week I'll be talking about stress and how my medical conditions have played a part.
Views from the Navy Yard. :)
Have a great week,
-R

1 comment:

  1. Love this! And it IS in the little things isn't it? And don't get me started about my blogging LOL....

    ReplyDelete