Monday, February 15, 2016

Roadmap


A letter to my readers,

I’ve told you about my congenital hypopituitarism and about some of the illnesses, syndromes, and diseases that have joined my list over the years. Where do I go from here?

Well, I don’t want to get caught up in just sharing about all the things that have happened to me along the way, because believe it or not, eventually [hopefully], I will run out of things to talk about. I do think some of these stories are important however, and will tell them in time.
That being said, sharing my history is inevitable because it is an important step that brings us to the present and eventually the future. Therefore, over the next few months, I want dive deeper into the events of my past; emergency room trips, doctors appointments, moments of fear, and moments in time that affected my life, my faith, and the hope I have today. I’ll tell you about living with Vestibular Hypofunction, my experience with Uveitis, my first rheumatology appointment, and much more. I’ll even share with you the opening of a book I began writing about six months after moving to the District. (No, I’m not talking about the Hunger Games, but Washington, DC). It will be a nice break from medical issues.
All this background is important to bring you with me in the next step of my medical journey. In approximately three months (give or take), I will begin infertility treatments. At that point, many of my posts will primarily focus on my infertility journey as it happens. Thus far, this journey has been a struggle, but going forward I hope it will be a journey we can walk together. A journey you can pray with me through, understand me through, and find joy with me in whatever happens.
Until then, ideally, I would like to post every week. Instead of sitting down to watch my favorite television show(s), I will take the time to write this blog. I want to be committed to this, not only because it could help my readers, but also because it helps me. I want to be vulnerable, as if I were writing in a personal journal. Sometimes, writing in a journal just isn’t quite enough. I don’t know about you, but once I finish a journal, it sits on a shelf somewhere, maybe reminisced or opened once in a blue moon, but most likely not. It isn’t read or understood by anyone but me. Sounds kind of sad, doesn’t it? Especially when I just want to be understood. Blogs aren’t like that. I can talk to the world with just a click of a button. It feels like the right thing to do. I know others suffering with chronic pain, fatigue, and medical issues in general. Why not try to share with them the hope that I have found? Let them know they are understood. Why not bring people in on the pain that I’ve worked so hard to conceal if  sharing it could help someone like me find a deep peace? But like I said, this blog isn’t just for you, it’s for me too, to serve as a reminder of my source of hope and joy that transcends my need for “normal” health.
Agape,
Riley

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans
for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
  
Jeremiah 29:11


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing, Riley. I'm excited to see God continue to work in you and in others through your willingness to be vulnerable through journalling. And I would love to hear how you are coping with chronic pain, since I am going through it myself. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strap me in! I'm ready to ride this blog train! (hehehehe)

    ReplyDelete